Monday, September 6, 2010

Vinyl Revival Challenge Item!



Quite some time ago, Care gave me this clear vinyl bag which was the packaging for a 'Hide-a-Mat', measuring a generous 36" by 24" by 12" and including a nice 58" black nylon zipper. The seams are stitched and bound with the same clear plastic, and on the back is a panel of black knit mesh.

The challenge: to re-use and re-cycle the materials!

The bag has since been lying idle in my Things-I-Might-Recycle bin, with the challenge lying idly in the back of my brain until just recently. I think ideas must have been jogged by Care's fun crayon pouch posting, because several have popped out of the back of the brain!

Notes for recycling vinyl packaging:

--the vinyl is fairly light weight, and so not exceptionally durable, but much easier to handle than the heavier stuff.
--the vinyl is a bit crinkly from storage, so
-- a very short spin in the dryer or a quick blast with the hair dryer helps.
--to stitch clear plastic, use longer stitches and handle the seam from the front and the back of the presser foot, helping it move along.
--definitely do cut with the rotary cutter, using an older blade.
--I have a couple of ideas for re-using the zipper, so I'll probably add in some zippers from my notions stash.

I think I'm set to sew!



4 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see what you come up with. Another hint for sewing with vinyl, if I may...I always use a walking foot. The vinyl doesn't get bunched up, making it much easier to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see what you came up with!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the link you gave, very useful. I also keep al the vinyl bags I come across because I know I can make something out of them (but haven't found what yet!!!;-D) I'm sure you'll come up with something really good

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Very Verdant, for the walking foot hint! Good advice.

    I also remember back in the old days trying a roller foot, which was meant to roll over a sticky fabric like vinyl. I'm afraid it was a good idea whose time never came!

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback. Leave me a comment!