Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Quilt of Horror, Part 6--Horrible No More!

With a great surge of relief, I have met the challenge--my misguided stack-and-whack project is redeemed, and passed along to a happy new owner! I have to say all horror has been eliminated--it's charming! Many thanks to all who participated in its transformation.

The back was fun to work out--I decided on yellow, and since this is a scrap project, I searched my stash, but was disgruntled to find that my existing piece was not long enough. I was forced to buy another piece of yellow, and set the two checkerboard style to echo the front a bit, with a strip of scrap rectangles to add some color and focus.

The back and front are layered with batting pieced together from extra pieces of Warm and Natural--I loosely zigzagged the edges of the off-cuts together. It seemed the quilting should be curved and organic to contrast with the angular design of the top, so I quilted giant sunflowers in the center of each block, surrounded by leafy vines. The outer border is also quilted in a vine pattern.

The binding makes me very happy! I found a striped piece in my stash in just the colors needed--you have to love a striped binding.

Joy-joy is the happy new owner, and requests a small matching quilt for her beloved stuffed panda--I hope to find my scraps and just by-pass the horror phase.


  1. Oh my! The quilt turned out just lovely. The colours are wonderful, reminds me of sherbert.
    Nicely done


  2. Wow! That really did turn out so much differently than what it looked like from the start!! Congratulations!

  3. It's completely fabulous!! And the binding is PERFECTION!!

  4. This is delightful! You did a fantastic job.


I love feedback. Leave me a comment!