Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Have Sewing Machine, Will Travel--a Question


Over the last few weeks my smaller sewing machine and I have travelled several different states, visiting my children and their families. There is always a project to work on, alterations to help with, or just an opportunity to play with the sewing machine with grandkids and marvel over its features--they especially love its ability to sew without the foot pedal!

I enjoy my newer, smaller, more updated, portable machine, but my REAL sewing machine and I have been together for 35 years now. My machine is a small Bernina which came from a harsh background in a junior high school sewing lab. Its life has been happier and more productive with me, I'm sure! It's wired into a vintage, closable sewing cabinet with drawers, but I have to say it has been a very long time since I kept it closed!

I think I've had my sewing cabinet set up in in every room in the house, with the possible exception of the bathroom. Since the kids grew up and moved away and we took over the family room, my machine and I have enjoyed a permanent, dedicated spot of our own.

Among the sewing women in our family, one took over the dining room, one has a corner in the kitchen, one has a dedicated sewing room, and one a corner of the family room. Not only the women carry on the sewing tradition--my brother #4, a surgeon, sets up his machine on the dining table. Brother #5, a graphic designer, sews on a TV table in the living room of his small apartment in Manhattan.

All this brings me to my question--where do you sew? Are you a sewing nomad, or do you have a dedicated spot? Do you have to move your project out of the way before every meal? Are you able to spend the time you would like to spend in sewing, or dream of the day when you can pursue your plans?

Where do you sew?

13 comments:

  1. I have a collapsible sewing cabinet I got at Wal-Mart and right now it is covered in yarn and cloth. I need to take a day off in order to get it cleaned off and start sewing on that quilt I started before Christmas...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so sweet that your sewing machine travels with you. I used to sew in a closet until I asserted myself and claimed a corner in the downstairs playroom/office/treadmill room. It was kind of funny because I asked my husband if I could buy a corner table for $200 to sew on, but he's a little stingy and said no. The next day, I found the perfect corner desk at a garage sale for $18! Now I have a lovely, large space to work in. It's my sanctuary.

    I enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a dedicated sewing room, although I admit I've taken over part of my daughter's bedroom closet... and even part of mine... for a little more storage space. Ugh, admitting THAT fact makes me see how ridiculous it is! Time to pare down. Again.

    I dream of having a little sewing machine that can travel with me -- even if the kitchen table is as far as it goes! I *could* move my regular machine around with me, but I prefer to keep it safe in its sewing table. One day!

    Can't wait to hear where everyone else sews!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have a place...but I am not really a sewer either. I dream of being one and I pull out my sewing machine for projects like my sons costume for his school program (and I secretly wish I could have my mom and grandma come and do it for me!) but I also really want to learn, so maybe after his costume is done I won't put it away. Maybe I will find a new home for the machine out in the open.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS - your blog banner is one of my all time favorites...and I read a LOT of blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a great setup in my basement craft room, but now that I have two little kids I find myself hauling my machine up to the dining room table when I really want to get something done because the basement isn't really kid friendly. We might be moving and I've got my eye on the "office" for conversion to an office/craft room/catchall room just for me. It's on the main level and within earshot of the family room/playroom so that would be great... hopefully we'll get the house!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like to think I've condensed everything to the tiny typing table in the corner of my bedroom where the sewing machine sits, but in reality tools, fabric, old machines and notions are tucked all over the house and I usually drag my machine out to the kitchen table for days at a time. One day I'll have a beautifully decorated workspace, but no guarantee I'll contain myself to it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I usually set up my sewing machine on the kitchen table. Lots of light and it allows me to sew while my son naps. I found when I had it in the basement I didn't sew as much. Luckily we have a dining room table to eat on as well so I don't have to put everything away between meals.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I usually sew on the kitchen table or in the corner of the teeny room with the washer and dryer. It depends if I can find the sewing machine cabinet or if it is still covered with stuff I need to move. My machine usually sits on the floor waiting for a time to be used. Oh to have more time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I'm so jelous of your old Bernina! I am lucky enough to have a dedicated sewing room in the house. My husband helped me to remodel the room, building in some custom stuff for me. In my life before my sewing room, I would set up on the kitchen table until a project was finished. I also travel and sew with either a Singer Featherweight or a Bernina 1080 - and have sewn on everything from a countertop or dining room table to a cardboard box!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a sewing/laundry room. It has lots of storage (which is full). It is ALWAYS a mess! By the way..I found the fabric. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a sewing room all to myself. But we had to do a huge addition to the rest of the house so I could keep my room. (Hehe) I do have stuff in my baby's room. (she isn't using all that space) and I have several machines around the house that I will pull out for bigger projects or when my older girls want to sew. My sewing room isn't quite big enough for all of us in there at the same time. Maybe I need a huge addition on my sewing room. Sign, in a perfect world, huh.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have my sewing table set up in the family room. Everyone is in here, so I am never alone. As soon as my son moves out, though... His room is mine! His room is the extra room over the garage...ahhh...sweet space....I have such plans!

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback. Leave me a comment!