Friday, May 21, 2010

Thrift Store Yarn Project #3--Cheeseburgers!


It was my daughter-in-law's birthday, and since she is an avid lover of the cheeseburger, what better gift than the cheeseburger that lasts? Two cheeseburgers that last!

I couldn't resist checking out"Tasty Crochet", by Rose Langlitz, when I saw it at the library--it's a book of 33 patterns for crocheted food, from felafel to pizza. Who knew?

I have to say that I personally find knitting to be more satisfactory than crochet--I have seen nice crocheting, but it did not fall from my hook. However, I simply could not resist the idea of a crochet cheeseburger or two, so I hurried to my stash of small scale thrift store yarn--it really was fun choosing plausible yarn colors for the different parts of the burger.

The patterns are written for worsted-weight yarn, so with my lighter-weight yarn I had to experiment to find the right hook--I had a few false starts, but Rose's instructions were well-written and easy to follow.

Is this a practical gift? A tasteful gift? All I know is it was a fun gift to make!

5 comments:

  1. Cute! That book has been patiently waiting on my wishlist for the day I decide to start crocheting pretend food for the babe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I once saw a crocheted dress that looked like a cheeseburger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is SO fun- C will LOVE it! How creative.

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback. Leave me a comment!