Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Homemade Bread--Cost Factors Again

Mama Squirrel brought up an interesting point in her comment on an earlier post--how much does the cost of power affect the cost of baking a loaf of bread in the machine?

An internet search told me the cost of power locally--in the winter months, our electrical cost is 8.7 cents a kilowatt hour, and there is a sliding scale for the warmer months here. (I'm wondering how this compares to other areas.)

A calculator on the internet figured that for 600 watt usage, average for breadmakers, our cost is $.07 for an hour--I'm assuming that would be for the baking part of the cycle. (In comparison, the cost to run an electric oven would be about $.26 per hour here.) A good part of the 3.5 hour cycle is inactive, however.

So the answer is: I can't say definitively. Somewhere between 15 and 20 cents for the power cost? Input, anyone?

One plus for the machine is that it just might keep you out of the grocery store to avoid further spending!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback. Leave me a comment!