Monday, November 1, 2010

Blogger's Quilt Festival!


It's Amy fourth Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side--I do believe I will join in the fun!

My Stack-and-Whack Star quilt, which I now love, had its beginnings (at least in my mind) as my Unfinished Quilt of Horror, or as Care dubbed it, the Vomit Quilt.

It truly began with the best of intentions, and then went swiftly awry. I had done a few stack-and-whack projects, and happily contemplated a stack-and-whack star quilt. I chose a pile of fabric pieces from my stash (how I do love a scrap project!) then stacked, whacked, shuffled, and began to sew my way through the pile. I was excited to see the random combination of fabrics in the blocks, but then some of them turned out seriously less than cute, and almost disturbing. Queasy, I quickly put it all away.


Over the next couple of years, I would take it out and wonder where I had gone wrong, then put it back in horror. At last, Care helped my put my finger on the problem--the fabric she ruthlessly called the 'vomit print', which had contaminated everything it had touched--and I am sure you can tell which it is. (Warning--you may want to shield your eyes at this point!)

With the worst of the blocks firmly eliminated, I was able to make progress--you could read more about the process here--and finished with a cute, girlie birthday quilt, now beloved by my grand-daughter Joy-joy. Here's a view of the back:


Since I was determined to make this a scrap project, I scrounged up the backing from scraps and my available yellow fabrics, and pieced the batting from scraps. I even had the perfect stripe for the binding! It was a fun learning process--triumph at last!



2 comments:

  1. I love, love, love it. But you should also show its companion doll-size blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendy.
    Pleased to see you stuck to it and finished it. It is so bright and cheerful and has turned into a wonderful quilt.
    Love scrap quilts and bright colours!

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback. Leave me a comment!