Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Thrift Thursday--Book Spice Shakers!


I can't be the only person who finds out-of-town excursions incomplete without a trip to the local thrift store! Everyone highlights their Disneyland vacation with a thrift store outing, right?

Recently we headed out to visit the kids in the next state, and I'm happy to say they live right through the block from an excellent thrift store! On our ritual foray into the shop, I found this delightful little wooden shelf with five ceramic spice shakers--I suppose at one point there must have been seven, which would have just filled the little shelf. Cinnamon and ginger, maybe? Since books and small things are two of my favorite themes, I snapped them up for $5.00!

I'm thinking these are from the early-to-middle 1950's, since chickens similar to these were a popular kitchen theme of the time, and they originally had corks in the bottoms. The shelf is 8-1/2" wide and 3-1/2" high, and each little book is 1-1/8" wide, 1-3/4" deep, and 3" tall, with five holes in each top for shaking. Which seems a little odd, since one would think measuring would be more practical for spices. At any rate, they will display very nicely with some of my other little books!

1 comment:

  1. I love book themed items as well -- I wouldn't have been able to resist this.
    I also try and hit the thrift shops wherever I go. I feel like I get to know the real wherever that way. And find some cool stuff.

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback. Leave me a comment!