Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Thrift Store Table, Before



I got this vintage gate leg table at the thrift store some years ago, and I have always loved the idea of it. (And love that tiny Vanna White hand in the photo!) However, I've had it in different places all around the house, and somehow it has never really worked--sad because I paid what I thought was a pretty good price considering its thrift store provenance-$50.00!!! Really a lot for me.

It's solid hardwood, but doesn't have an attractive grain, and the finish is fairly worn and a kind of greeny brown. My best guess is that it's from the 1940's. I even took it to the consignment shop a couple of years ago, but they recommended painting it and bringing it back. I wasn't inspired to paint it (all those turnings), so I moved it around the house some more.

Its last location has been closed and against the wall in the living room, right across from the sofa, where I have been sitting and staring at it for months, wondering just what was wrong with the whole idea. It just seemed clunky. Well, I have a long last been struck with inspiration! I know what to do, and daughter E. and hubby are helping me get it underway. It's about to be modified!! I can hardly wait to post Phase One--back soon!

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see what becomes of this gorgeous table.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a table identical to that one. Mine's not all that pretty either, but I stripped and varnished the top, and painted the legs, and we use it as a snack/dining/craft/computer work table in our family room.

    Can't wait to see what you're doing with it!

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback. Leave me a comment!