Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Apricot Jam--Part 2!

I was unable to resist thawing out my tiny bottle of jam and having a post-freezer taste! Very tasty-- the pineapple flavor is somehow stronger than it had been, the texture is definitely fresher and softer than most jam, and I believe the color is brighter. I think its fresh flavor is the best feature!

And I got to wondering from Jane's comment (thanks, Jane!)--what preserving traditions do others have? I come from a long line of canners and preservers-- I remember both of my grandmas canning, and my parents canned fresh produce in the summer.

(One happy canning memory: when we were young and lived closer to the Mexican border, my mom and her friends would order a truckload of fresh Mexican pineapples--yum!-- and spend days canning a year's worth of pineapple chunks.)

According to my brother who lives in Manhattan, jam-making is making a comeback there. Beautiful fruit is available for preserving at the farmers' market in the city, and it makes me happy to think of young urban professionals coming home to slave over their kettles and bottles!

A lot of people here use powdered pectin to make jam--boiled and sealed as well as frozen from fresh fruit. Is it available in other places? Do people make freezer jam where you live?

The fruits that I, at least, preserve are pretty standard--apricots, plums, peaches, apples, pears--I like to think that in other places there are (what would seem at least to me) more exotic choices.

What kinds of jam do people make where you live?




5 comments:

  1. I have a friend who is starting a small home business making signature jams - lime/blueberry, watermelon/mint, etc. THey are a bit too trendy for me - I'll be making about 70 lbs of peaches into peach, peach/raspberry, and peach/strawberry jam for the rest of this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peach/berry sound wonderful! Do you grow your own fruit? Use pectin? I'd like to know how many jars you make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm glad your jam tastes good after all the hard work..preserving is such an incredibly satisfying thing to do..i love it..jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Wendy, no I have a friend who has and orchard. After the harvest, he lets us come pick up anything that fell or was discarded for whatever reason- we try to get there the next day - they are perfect for jam & pies. We just make it till we're done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't made jam in a few years, but I usually prepare and can the fruit. Then in the winter I open a jar add sugar and boil it until it thickens. Years ago I used pectin, but I much prefer the jam without. It's not as thick, but it doesn't have to be as sweet either. We have blackberries, wild plums and possum grapes growing on or near our farm. They all make wonderful jam.

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback. Leave me a comment!